Sunday, November 23, 2008

I'm Finally Here!

Photo Journalism...
I figure you'd rather look at pictures over reading a bunch of boring text...so, I'm here to try to make both camps happy...Consider this a little photo journal of my time in Cyprus.  Thank you for understanding that I can't write one daily.  I REALLY like my new amazing MacBook Pro (thanks Mom & Dad!), but I don't like it THAT much to be on it all day=)

Let the adventures begin!!!
I'M HERE.
I finally made it through the baggage claim area.  I literally was the LAST person out of there.  Watching that carousel spin and spin with no sightings of the bags is never a fun thing.  I heard a Greek Cypriot lady calling "Hutchinson," so I waved my hand.  That's me - seeing as I was the only blondie in the place.  "Your bags will arrive tomorrow."  I now have them, but all I could do was laugh at the time.  Above is Emma and Darlene.  Tim said that I held the record for making it out of the Larnaka Airport with the least amount of bags...None.  Praise the Lord they did come the next day.
Good to be on land.
Tim and Emma help me with my backpack and guitar.  Tim made a joke, "Well, at least you have the guitar.  That's all you need, right?"  I giggled in a delerious, jet-lagged sort of way.  God is so faithful to provide for our every need.  I made more of a big deal about the bags than it really was - it just makes me laugh how little we truly do need.
Fresh Larnaka Air.
Emma, me, and Darlene in front of the Larnaka Airport.  Abby is not pictured - we then drove to pick her up from ballet.  Both of the girls dance, so I definitely brought my ballet slippers, toe shoes, tights and dance clothes...I'm sure many dances will be choreographed in their living room.
Home Sweet Home.
Above is our home.  Emma and Darlene pose to show you how large it is.  We live on the top floor, and the landlords live downstairs.  The church meets here every Sunday morning and Wednesday night.  It is such a blessing from the Lord for the Mattox family, and they totally use it to bless others (like me, too).
Very exciting...the front door.
Emma walks through the front door.  For those of you that like to see where I am everyday - just picture this door, and I'll be walking through it at least once, twice, three, four, five,...maybe even...ok, you get the picture.  Thank you for praying for me in my goings-out and my comings-in.
Church Family.
At the far left is one tired, jet-lagged Lindsey - this is the first night.  The church came over for a welcome dinner.  It was so wonderful meeting everyone.  As the blogs continue, you'll get to meet more.  Abby is the one with the long, brown hair.  Oliver is in the read shirt.  He is 11 years-old, and he is so excited to start playing drums with me on Sunday mornings.  Also, he received a surfboard from his older brother in England, so I'm sure we'll be surfing together.  One more interesting tid-bit:  Oliver and his parents, Mary & John, have the last name Hutchinson - exact same spelling.  I know we've got to be related.  I saw pictures of John as a child, and he reminds me so much of some of my uncles and my dad.  We'll see.
Incredible History.
Cyprus has innumerable historic ruins.  This is an old tower that is actually just down the street from Tim and Darlene's home.  We took some fun pictures by it and in it one night that we watched the sunset.
How Great is Our God!
Speaking of sunsets...this is what one looks like over the Mediterranean Sea.  I keep saying ocean, but it's called "The Sea."  My vocabulary will soon change, especially with so many different cultures here:  British, Greek Cypriot, South African Cypriot, Russian, Indian, Filipino, Scottish, Austrian...and this was just in the first 5 days.  I love to see such a diversity of God's people in one place.
Photo Opportunity...
For those of you that know me pretty well, I try not to miss any.  Darlene and Tim - my Cyprus Parents.
Climbing in Ugg Boots...never smart.
Emma and I try to get a closer look inside.
Choose Your Adventure.
Isn't this so cool?  It would be so fascinating to hear the story behind this tower.  It was obviously a look-out of some sort being so high above the Sea.  My favorite part is the stairs.
Sister-sister.
Emma and Abby on our balcony in the front of the house.  Sister love...ah, I miss you Chels!!!

Welcome Sign.
The sign that Emma and Darlene held while I exited the Airport.  The kids from the Sunday school at church colored it for me.  I now have it up in my room.
Where I Sleep.
Finally, this is my room.  I now have surf magazine pictures up on the wall, along with ballet paintings from an old calendar.  Each day, it becomes more and more like home.  I took my brother and mom on a virtual Skype tour this morning.  They were able to see a 360 degree view of the house, my room, the view from the balcony of the Sea...Tanner commented on how clean my closets were.  I told him that Emma had just helped me organize, and now she constantly is wearing one of my beanies around the house.  I love being able to be a big sister to these girls.  We brush our teeth together every night.  It's quite fun.  

Thank You Jesus.
More to come...but I do need to stop and thank the Lord Jesus, for without Him, none of this would happen.  He is working out His perfect plan on the island of Cyprus, and I'm just excited to be a small part of it.  Lord bless you for reading this and for praying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh Lindsey I remember brushing my teeth with you in El Salvador! (mostly, because brushing to you is something very important!) I'm so excited for you! I will be keeping up with your blog and I am very much appreciative of the photos!