Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Turkish North 6.8.09

My first trip to the NORTH!

As many of you know, Cyprus is a divided island. I live on the south side, occupied by Greece, but not part of Greece, per say. Cyprus is it's own country. Then, the north is occupied by Turkey. There is a UN buffer zone that requires a passport on the way through. We have the last divided capital in the world, Nicosia. It was a blessing to take a day with the family to visit.
Road trip.
Turkish flags...you see the big one on the mountain?
We are now entering a totally different country...even the addresses are 'Turkey.'
I like how they spell Taxi...it makes sense.
It reminds me so much of southern California in parts.
Minarets for the call to prayer to Allah. Please pray for this land. Also, pray that Cyprus can once again be united.
Mattox fam!
Ready for adventure.
Emma and her Papa.
Turkish box shop!
This is mine...he is carving "Acts 20:24" into it, just the scripture passage. The verse actually reads: "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me - the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace."
If you've ever seen National Treasure 2, these boxes are the like the one desk Nicolas Cage had to 'crack the code' on...there is a very cool way to open them, which is about 4 steps...so fun!
Beautiful lamps in the shop.
Intricate and ornate.
Me and the girls!
Mattox fam. Love them!
Asking for directions.
More flags.
Looks like Half Dome, doesn't it?
This was a cool spiral mountain.
Horses just roaming the streets and fields.
They were pretty. It made me miss my Molly. Thanks Mom for taking care of my girl.


Salamis
And when they [Paul & Barnabas] arrived in Salamis, they preached the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews. They also had John as [their] assistant. - Acts 13:5
Almost looks real...
I'm a column!
Perspective. This must have been magnificent in its day.
Darlene catching up on her ancient history in the amphitheater.
Old Baths. Hi Darlene!
Paintings...
Mosaics still in tact...
The architecture is mind-boggling...and they didn't have cranes and forklifts.
I was so thankful to get to visit Salamis...another piece of the Bible come to life!

I hope you all enjoyed your trip to the Turkish Republic of Cyprus.

5 comments:

Craig Brewer said...

Fascinating place, thanks for the pictures!

Stephanie Gaddis said...

That's it, I can't take it anymore, I must go there! I told Alex the other day that I was going to Cyprus and he calmly said, "um, no, you're not." Lame. I think I'll sneak in to Anne Marie's luggage next month....
I miss you!!!!!!

quinn said...

yay! i love hearing about your adventures:) awesome box- funny because we just watch national treasure last night! and i love your head on the statue- it made me laugh out loud!

lindsey hutchinson said...

Craig, I always appreciate feedback from a fellow photographer, one far superior to myself =D, but I enjoy learning from the best.

Steph, come on over...actually, your hubby would have my head...haha!!!

Quinn, I miss your giggle!!! I can almost hear it now. I saw that Ollie and Zoe met - how fun.

Brad & Tammy Poteet said...

Brad said to tell you he was there (Salamis) first! You stole his great picture from our Salamis trip! I will send you a message of why on your FB wall...he he he