Monday, March 9, 2009

Green Monday 3.1.09

A Greek Cypriot Holiday.
Green Monday is the Monday that kicks off the 40-day fast before the Greek Orthodox Easter, which comes one week after the Western Easter this year.  I was able to join the Mattox family with their old neighbors, Vastos and Yoda, a sweet Greek Cypriot family.  It was fun...kites are in the picture, too, not sure why, but scroll down to see some fun kite adventures.
The fast is from all meat products.  McDonalds' even adds a veggie burger to their menu for the 40 days.  Darlene sits next to Yoda and Yoda's parents.
On Green Monday, you're only supposed to eat uncut vegetables and seafood.  As you can see, Abby holds up a cucumber, I think.  Emma and I proudly display our shrimp.
The BBQ!  Shrimp, calamari, octopus...yes, octopus.  No, I didn't try any, and I'm totally fine with that.
Vastos is a great friend to Tim and Darlene.
This is Vastos' mother-in-law...such a sweet woman.  She giggled when I practiced my Greek with her, but she understood =)
Keeping warm.
Let the kite adventures begin!
I guess Tim is the champion of getting his kites up in the air every year.
He took home the title once again this Green Monday.
Emma is a faithful kite helper and flyer.
This picture makes me miss my Daddy.  I love you Papa!!!
The wind was very sporadic, but Tim still managed to get the two kites flying.
You would think we were at an air show =)
I had Mary Poppins in my head all day...
I love seeing older men flying Mickey Mouse kites - this was classic - it kind-of becomes a competition amongst the men.
Emma and I discuss the aerodynamics of the kite.
It's a kite frenzy.
Tim passes on the legacy to Abby...
...must be stuck on a rock...
Let's go fly a kite...
...up to the highest heights...
What would a see-saw be without ballerina moves?
Emma and Abby amaze me at their flexibility.
Weeeeeeee!!!
I hope you enjoyed Green Monday with us =).

No comments: