Thursday, April 16, 2009

Tombs & Lighthouse 4.10.09

Tomb of the Kings.
This site contains remains of burial grounds used by the Hellenistic and Roman periods (3rd century B.C - 3rd century A.D.).  It has also been used as a place of refuge for Christians during persecution.  Various groups have come and gone, using these structures for burial, hiding, or living...I feel like I'm writing a term paper, but I actually got most of this straight out of a brochure =).
Samson's sister.
I told you they were strong.
Samson's cousin.
Holding up the columns.
I climbed up in one of the tomb structures...a little morbid, I know, but kind of fun.
I'm alive!
Inga-lill was a trooper - she was in and out of every tomb she could find.
It is crazy to think that people actually lived under here, too.
Precarious, yes...that's what makes it fun.
Oh dawling...would you like a spot o' tea?
I half put myself into this well.  The drop was quite steep, so I thought I would keep half my body on stable ground.
Just think about how they made these stairs...and they are still functioning today - crazy!

Mosaics & Lighthouse. (a different site)
Inga-lill and Karen study the intricate mosaics.
Lighthouses are such beautiful symbols.
This one still functions today.
Down in another amphitheater.
I though I would sing "Amazing Grace" again.
"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.  I once was lost but now I'm found, was blind, but now I see."  
Thank you Jesus.
I hope you all enjoyed traveling around Pafos with us =).

No comments: