Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Driving Around Town 1.7.09

Look out!!!  I'm driving!
Yes, 'tis true.  Thank you all for praying for my transition to the left side...it's quite fun, because it's so very different.  I'm going to take you on a little trip around town to see some of our local spots...BUCKLE UP! 
Getting used to the right side of the car is still an adjustment, especially when backing up.  I want to look over my right shoulder, but my face hits the window or the seat belt.
I'm like a mail man in the States!
I absolutely love signs in other countries!
Speed bumps are 'Speed Humps' here.
A genuine Cyprus 'Humped Crossing.'
This is our local DVD store.  It's so cool - you just go in, swipe your card, and see the computer screen for what's available...open literally 24/7 - you just get charged per 12 hours.  No lines =).
One of the other big Greek Orthodox churches.  I hear these bells in the morning, too.  Check out the Cyprus and Greek flags.
One of our many grocery stores.  Orphanides is closest to us, but Darlene and I shop where the sales are the best.  With Cyprus becoming part of the European Union, the Euro has caused an increase in all prices.  Food can be quite expensive here.
No more car door dings!
This is ingenious!  A guaranteed way for people to return their carts and not leave them stranded in the middle of the parking lot.  You insert either a one or two euro coin to release the cart, and you get your coin back once you return it - of course people will want their money back, right?  I vote that the States implement this.  I guess it would put a lot of high school kids out of work, though.  Who knows.  I just think it's so smart!
Yes, Colonel Sanders lives in Cyprus, too.
Fire Station.  Interesting note:  the fire fighters are not equipped as paramedics like in the States, but they are good at fighting fires.  The emergency system is a wee bit lacking here.  Darlene says that calling an ambulance could take up to a half hour, so people will just put an injured person in their own car and take them to the hospital.
Kiosks are everywhere...need something?  Anything?  Milk?  Firewood?  Bread?  Water?  Sunscreen?  A lazer pointer for Kony to play with?  The Kiosk will most likely have it.  Open almost all the time.
This is the bank that the church uses, and now I do, too.  I got to start helping out with the finances - I'm in the process of creating a spreadsheet for budget and such.  It's fun.
Police station.  Another interesting fact:  the policemen drive around all the time, BUT they may not always be working.  Do not be alarmed by their flashing lights...that just means they are on the clock.  I still have to get used to that.  
This is me making a protected right turn...I still feel like I'm on the Autopia ride at Disneyland - it's all so new!  I kind of wish I had the little track to guide me, though...oh, I want to go to Disneyland!  Mom, Dad, Chels, Tan, let's do it whenever I get back!  Love you all and miss you bunches and bunches!
Now, these next photos were the day before, but I thought I'd throw them in...above, I attempt to take a self photo with my camera timer.
This is the sturdy (haha!) pole that displays the warning flag that Helios is dangerous.  I think it's an old, ripped up red t-shirt.  The currents can get strong here, but on a surf board, you don't really notice.
Darlene and Kony.
Forcing him to be a surf dog.
A genuine SURF DOG!  Look, he even has ratty, scruffy blonde hair like most surfers =).
Some local Cypriots enjoying the sunset, too.
Hello down there!  I took this picture from the top of the lifeguard tower.
Simply breath-taking.

Thanks for coming with me on my drive around town.  I hope you didn't get too car sick or scared.  I'll get better...I hope =).  Love Linz

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny Lindz! I laughed at the backwards driving pic where you said you look to the right and hit your face! Hilarious! Looking over your right shoulder would be SUCH a hard habit to kick! Love you! T