Saturday, January 31, 2009

Acts 13 in real life 1.26.09

Cyprus and the Bible!  "So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they [Barnabas and Paul] went down to Seleucia, and from there they sailed to Cyprus...They traveled through the whole island until they came to Paphos." -Acts 13:4,6 
Kendra and Bill are friends from the States, who now serve in Israel.  Kendra is the sister of my Dad's best friend, Tad (Hi Tad!)  It's such a small world.
This is the site of where the proconsul's palace was located.
Mosaics everywhere...this must have been one elaborate place of dwelling.
In Acts 13, as the story continued, Paul performed a miracle through the power of the Holy Spirit, which blinded the eyes of a false prophet named Bar-Jesus.
"Then the proconsul believed, when he saw what had been done, being astonished at the teaching of the Lord." - Acts 13:12
Kendra and Bill with Darlene.
It is so fascinating to watch the archeologists did up remains of the temple right in front of your face.  Everywhere you look in Cyprus is a historic site of some sort.  Darlene says that the deeper they dig, the further back in history they can find.
More mosaics.
Cyprus does not have animals like this, so it's believed that a world traveler must have designed these.
I can barely do a 'paint-by-number' - I would definitely NOT have the patience to make even just a square foot mosaic.
The Pafos Lighthouse still in operation today.
Windows, doors, and gates always grab my curiosity...which usually ends up in a picture.
One of many amphitheaters in Pafos.  If you're wondering why Pafos is sometimes written Paphos, let me tell you.  Paphos is the old spelling, and the European Union correct spelling is now Pafos.  Either way works.
Kendra and I play with the acoustics of the amphitheater.  
Have you ever done this?  WOW!  The in-ear's at church can't even touch this.
I was singing 'Edelweiss' from the Sound of Music, then I couldn't help myself...a dance burst forth from my innermost being.  Nice picture Darlene!  You can see my reflection and shadow - crazy.
Pirouettes in running shoes on slabs of concrete makes for a fun challenge.
Kendra and Bill enjoy their time of refreshment.  Bill also has a passion for photography.
I'm so awestruck at God's perfect design of physics...That arch is held up by itself - good thing, too.  I wouldn't be so excited.
Bill and I discuss which is better, a Nikon or a Cannon. 
I know what you're thinking...
Nope, it's the kitchen sink.
Sweet shot Darlene with the lighthouse in the background.
I don't know why I always end with a picture of me...me, meee, meeeee...
If you haven't heard of Brian Regan, look him up on youtube.
I would have no jokes, if it weren't for him.

No comments: