Friday, January 9, 2009

January Update... 1.10.09

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

I've received Christmas cards, emails, facebook messages, comments on my blog, and skype chats from you...thank you so much for making me feel at home!  I pray that each of you enjoyed time with family and friends for Christmas and New Year's.  For those of you who traveled, welcome back...I'm sure it's good to be home.

Christmas was wonderful here.  We spent Christmas morning here at home.  The girls received bean bag chairs - that was fun.  Then, we went for a walk along the sea.  That night, we had several people over for dinner.  It was a very cool ministry opportunity to share the hospitality of Jesus with those who don't know Him and with those who do.  I missed my family dearly, but it was so cool to skype with them on their Christmas morning.  I love you fam!

Visiting friends.  We went to the home of Pastor Yianakis and Sheri for dinner one night.  He is the pastor of the Greek Evangelical church in Limassol.  Being an evangelical in a Greek Orthodox society is difficult.  Please pray the Lord would continue to bless their ministry.

Christmas blessings.  The church organized "The Giving Tree" this year to collect gifts and food for families who are in need.  The Lord blessed Fadya and her family (all 5 kids, too) with food and Christmas presents.  Also, we were able to take food to a woman who has been diagnosed with HIV.  She is older, and she also takes care of her elderly mother.  We pray that the simple gift of food and love will minister to her heart.

Worship is going well.  Sundays are fun!  Ollie is back from England, so we've got the crew back together.  Tim sings with me, while Ollie keeps the beat (Brad, thank you for investing in Ollie's life - it's so cool how God is raising him up to serve Jesus).  Wednesdays night Bible Studies are a blessing - Tim teaches, then we have a time of prayer and worship.  Also, Friday nights we get together at John & Mary Hutchinson's home (Ollie's parents) to pray and worship.  Last Friday was spent praying for Isr@al and Gaz@.  We are safe here, but it seems so much more real, since it's only a 45 minute flight.

My Visa News...  After praying about which route the Lord wanted me to go with a Visa, He has pointed in the direction of applying for a work Visa.  PLEASE PRAY!!!  As mentioned in my email, I taught 2 classes today for observation today (Monday, January 12th).  I'm applying for a part-time, high school math teaching position.  Please pray that I hear God's still small voice.  I don't want to be hasty.  Just because He opens doors, does not mean we are to leap through them immediately...but He will make that clear.  I really want to pray for His leading and guiding.  Originally, I thought that teaching would take me away from ministry, but Darlene reminded me that this could be a whole new avenue of ministry, investing in kids' lives.  I know His way is PERFECT.

Mattox Family.  The girls have started ballet up again after the Christmas break.  Tim is being faithful to teach the Word of God every Wednesday and Sunday, and he has also been blessed with work.  Darlene is doing a fabulous job, juggling being a wife, mom, carpool driver to Limassol, keeper of house and home, grocery shopper, Sunday School Teacher, Women's Bible Study Teacher,...(need I go on).  I'm learning so much from this family.

Hutchinson Family.  Please pray that Jesus blesses my family back home.  I know it is really hard for them to have me away again.  I know they are stoked for me and for all that the Lord is doing, but still...it's difficult.  Please rejoice with me that my dad has a steady job still at Northrop-Grumman, even through the economic crisis.  Also, rejoice with me that my mom and sister have jobs at Agoura High School, and that my brother is doing well at Moorpark College!  (I'm so proud of you Tan!  Keep it up.)  I do ask that you would pray for my sister's healing - she's had 2 surgery's in the last month or so.  One on her heel to prevent her bone from attaching to her achilles tendon (I think...don't quote me) and one to go in and clean up after her major back surgery in February of last year.  She is on crutches in a cast, hobbling around Agoura High School teaching...I just ask you to pray for a speedy recovery.  I love you sis!

I could write and write, but I'll keep it brief (ya right, that wasn't brief - ha!).  Below are just bullet prayer request - thank you all for standing in the gap for Jesus' ministry here in Cyprus:
  • My Visa 
  • Teaching Position possibility
  • Mattox Family
  • My family, especially my sister's healing (her heel and her back)
  • Isr@el and Gaz@
  • Calvary Chapel Cyprus, for God's Word to take deep root in all our lives
  • Surf Ministry, that God would continue to direct that 
  • For the Holy Spirit to teach us and direct us as we move forward in ministry
Thank you all for your support, your prayers, your encouragement, and your love!!!  May the Lord bless you and keep you.  Check out the pictures below, and you can see more by going to the left side and clicking on 2008 to see all the pictures from Christmas.

Love from Cyprus, Lindsey


No comments: