Monday, December 1, 2008

Happy December! 12.1.08

Hi everyone! (warning: it's long)

You don't have to read all this, but you can if you'd like...

First formal update.
I hope the email was not too confusing.  My pastor from Calvary Skyline, Pastor Manny, let me use the email template (thanks Manny!) - it makes it a little bit easier to send out the emails.  I'm hoping you arrived here because you clicked on one of the pictures, that is, if all is right in the cyberspace realm.

What's going on here.
I would like to just fill you in on how things are going, living here in Cyprus for almost 2 weeks now.  I totally feel at home with the Mattox family - God is amazing how He can knit hearts together.  Thank you for all your prayers and support - I can tell you are praying, because this transition has been absolutely peaceful and joyful.

Sunday services.
We have had two Sunday services so far, and they have been such a blessing.  The fellowship meets in our home, and there are about 10-20 people on average.  God is the One who adds to the church, and Tim and Darlene are being faithful with these precious people.  Tim, Oliver (11-year-old English boy who plays percussion - such a sweetheart and full of joy), and I lead worship, then Tim teaches, and we close with one song.  After service, everyone stays to drink tea and coffee and cookies.  Tea is very popular here, especially because there are several people from England.  Also, it is part of the culture, hospitality and cultivating relationships.

Helping around the house.
I've been able to be Darlene's 'helper' around the house and with the girls.  It's such a blessing, because I was able to serve my mom back home in this way - now, God is allowing me to worship Him by serving here in this home.  One morning, Darlene found me and said, "The Laundry Fairy has been busy this morning."  I just smiled and giggled.  It's so cool how the body of Christ works.  They are such a blessing to me, and I just pray I can bless and serve them, as well, to free them up to do the ministry God has given to them.

Opportunities.
There have been some cool opportunites for ministry.  A couple from the church just started renting a new home, so we all went there to pray over it.  She is 3-months pregnant, and they are so excited to have a home more in the mountains away from the craziness of the city.  Also, Darlene and I had the opportunity to visit one of her Muslim friends and bless her with food.  Please pray for her - she has five kids, and her husband is in jail awaiting the possibility of being deported.  We are praying for their salvation.  The kids now go to a Christian school, which is SO cool.  They come home to a Muslim home reciting Bible verses.  Only God can change hearts, to please pray with us for their hearts to be softened to God's truths.

Surf and Serve.
Surfing has provided an area of ministry, too.  There is a local surfer named Sean, who is lifeguard in the summers and just enjoys the ocean and his dog during the winters.  Tim and I have surfed with him twice now, and we invited him over for dinner.  It was a great night of fellowship, and we watched a Walking on Water film called, Noah's Arc.  It is the story of this guy named Noah and his testimony of how God swooped down into his life and changed him.  So, Sean heard the gospel message - praise the Lord!  Please pray for his heart.  He is from Scotland, lived in South Africa for 19 years, and he is just here by himself.  It seems that he needs a family.  Maybe God will eventually use the church here to bless him in that way.  Until then, we will keep surfing with him and watch the Lord work.

Visa.
As far as my Visa to stay here, there are some different options.  Please pray with me that God will grant wisdom to me, the Mattox family and my church back home.  I could apply for a job that is cleared to employ non-europeans (work visa), which could be a school of some sort or I can go through another way to get a visitor's visa.  My immigration agent's name is Gwenny, and I am praying that God will use me to plant some seeds through this all.  Thank you for joining me in prayer for the Visa and for Gwenny.

The Lord totally knows.
My heart's desire is to just serve Tim and Darlene by being home and not working.  The Lord knows, so I am just praying for His perfect will.

It's still all Greek to me.
I will be starting Greek classes in January, which I am so excited about.  I'm learning little bits here and there.  I know "Thank you," "Good Morning," and "Excuse me." 

Signing off.
There is so much that happens in a day, but I hope you have been blessed by the things I've shared that God is doing.  Please scroll down and click on the titles at the left to see pictures.  Again, thank you all for your support and prayers.  May the Lord richly bless each one of you, Love Lindsey


5 comments:

Stephanie Gaddis said...

Lindsey, will you move in with us when you get back?! =)

Unknown said...

Did you know that Psalm 119 is divided into stanzas that equal the Hebrew alphabet? I think that's right. Check it out.
So, if there's a Greek Bible around, maybe it's in Greek!!

Anonymous said...

Lindz..awesome pics and awesome narrative. You're making me feel like I'm there! Praying and hugs to you sister! - Ash (from PA :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsey!
This was wonderful! I really enjoyed reading all of your posts & looking at the pictures!! :) It is so awesome to see the Lord working in your young life & what He has planned for you!

God bless!
Love,
Maraleen

Anonymous said...

Hey Lindsey! Guess What!!? I just posted my FIRST comment EVER on a blog! And I did it... at the end of your "Day 5" entry somehow, so you have to go back there to read it. I screwed up. But good for my first try, eh!?
Love you!
Candace